The Festival will showcase films from nine countries
8 Nov – The Latin American Film Festival (LAFF) 2023 returns to Malaysia once again with a diverse and exciting selection of films from nine countries, highlighting the richness and diversity of Latin American and Caribbean culture and languages.
The Festival is a free event that celebrates the rich and varied cultures, languages and stories of this vibrant region through the power of cinema, highlighting their cultural heritage and creative industries. This year, the LAFF welcomes back Uruguay and Venezuela, completing the participation of nine countries in the festival.
The 21st edition of LAFF will take place from 16-19 November at Golden Screen Cinemas (GSC), Mid Valley Megamall in Kuala Lumpur, while its 3rd Edition in Penang will be from 30 November - 3 December at GSC Gurney Plaza.
The Festival to open with the awards-winning "Argentina, 1985"
This year's festival will open with a special screening of the Argentine movie, "Argentina, 1985," a critically acclaimed film that was nominated for the 2023 Oscars and BAFTAs, and won Golden Globes, GOYA, and several Platino Awards. The film is a fiction based on historical events during the trial of the Military Juntas.
In addition, the LAFF will feature films from Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela, covering a wide range of genres such as comedy, drama, animation and documentary. The films will showcase the social, political and cultural aspects of each country, as well as their unique expressions and identities. The films are directed by some of the most prominent and emerging filmmakers in Latin America.
Some of the highlights of the festival include:
- "The Good Herbs" (Mexico): A touching drama about a woman who struggles with Alzheimer's disease and her relationship with her daughter.
- "El Beat" (Colombia): A captivating story of resistance told through music.
- "The Dolphin, Story of a Dreamer" (Peru): An enchanting animated film based on a best-selling novel which depicts the adventures of a dolphin who wants to explore the world.
- "The Movie Of My Life" (Brazil): A nostalgic coming-of-age story set in the 1960s that explores family, love, and identity.
- "Hilda's Short Summer" (Uruguay): A poignant drama about a woman whose life is interrupted by the announcement that her son is coming to visit her after several years.
- "I Am The Earth - Stories from the Southern Edge of the World" (Chile): A stunning documentary that showcases the natural beauty and cultural diversity of Chile.
- "The Special" (Venezuela): An inspiring drama about the tenacity of a young man with Down syndrome who wants to be treated as a normal adult.
- "Love In The Dark" (Cuba): Three dark love stories that cross among themselves during a night in La Habana.
From Peru, we have "The Dolphin, Story of a Dreamer"
Venezuela presents the thoughtful and uplifting "The Special"
The LAFF is organised by the Embassies of Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Cuba, Mexico, Peru, Uruguay and Venezuela to Malaysia, with the support of media partner Cinema Online.
"The LAFF is more than just a film festival," said the Ambassador of Argentina to Malaysia and Dean of the GRULAC Embassies to Malaysia, H.E. Manuel Balaguer Salas. "It is a cultural bridge that connects us with the Malaysian public. We are proud to present films that reflect our identity, diversity, and creativity as Latin Americans. We are also delighted to have Uruguay and Venezuela back in the festival, making it a more complete representation of our region. We invite everyone to join us in this celebration of Latin American audiovisual art. You will be amazed by what you will see and feel at the LAFF!"
For both GSC Mid Valley Kuala Lumpur and GSC Gurney Plaza in Penang, free tickets can be collected 1 hour prior to the respective showtimes.
Don't miss this opportunity to explore Latin America through the eyes of some of its most talented and acclaimed filmmakers. Come and enjoy with us at the LAFF in Kuala Lumpur and Penang!
Cinema Online is proud and honoured to be the official media partner for the LAFF.
For LAFF 2023 movie showtimes, synopsis and further details, visit our Latin American Film Festival page HERE.
Cinema Online, 08 November 2023